You wish to travel and explore the diverse, loud, and incredible city of New York where non-stop amazing things are happening all at the same time. So many things, in fact, that you will not have enough time in New York to see and experience all the things that it can offer.
But with the help of our mobile devices such as our smartphones, there are free downloadable apps that are available in iTunes and Google PlayStore which provide comprehensive information on all the great stuff in New York (the restaurants, Broadway shows, concerts, bars, shopping and more. The best thing about these New York apps is that they are very easy to use and absolutely free!
Below are the top 5 free mobile apps that you need when exploring New York City and can install on your iPhone or Android phone:
Central Park NYC Lite for iPod/iPhone
- Category: Travel
- Seller: Eric Redlinger
- © 2010-2015 PixiesWork interactive
According to iTunes’ website, “Central Park NYC is a beautifully-rendered, interactive map of New York’s Central Park, containing most major landmarks, paths and roads.”
This app includes the following:
- Bordering streets and subway stops
- park activities such as boat and bike rental locations.
You can get more information on your points of interest by directly tapping on the map or by selecting them from a list.
Whether it is your first time or your 100th, learn more and discover all-time NYC favorites and other favorite places to visit such as Strawberry Fields, Sheep’s Meadow, Bethesda Fountain, Summit Rock, Shakespeare Garden, Belvedere Castle, and the Zoo.
The app also has bonus features like the locations of all public restrooms in the park and background information on most points of interest from Wikipedia and other public resources.
Whenever you’re feeling lost, users of 3G iPhones and iPads can tap the ‘find me’ button and Central Park will show you exactly where you are in the park.
- Category: Reference
- Seller: Central Park Conservancy, Inc.
- © 2010 mcgarrybowen
Make the most out of your time in the City with the TimeOut New York app. As stated in iTunes, it has a “constantly updated, ever-changing mix of the best new events, places and suggestions for things to do in New York. Discover, save, share and book experiences through an effortless browsing experience, optimised for the Retina display.”
New York is made easy for its users because it is very simple to browse and you can modify your search depending on where you are or what you want to do. Whether you are in the look for a unique bar or hole-in-the-wall diner, everything becomes easy with this app.
Regardless of how busy you are, the Time Out New York app will constantly keep you updated with the City’s latest events, providing you hundreds of options any time of day. And best part is, it’s free.
Features (from Google Playstore):
Geo-location – we pinpoint where you are, and show you all the recommended activities nearby on a map, complete with event previews.
Easy browsing – whether you’re looking for a great gig or a top-notch restaurant, you can browse by type of activity, area, even the kind of food you want to eat.
Up-to-date listings – event listings and previews are updated daily so you can access information on all the latest goings-on in New York.
New York City Guide
Great App I’m in New York at the moment and using this app is a dream. It has everything you need: a great directory, subway maps, reviews, photos, GPS integration, interactive street map with lots of information on it and its all offline so no roaming charges!
New York City tourists and visitors love this FREE app because it serves as a personal advisor in your pocket which helps you plan and have the perfect New York City trip. With restaurants, attractions, hotels and TripAdvisor reviews you love, stored in the app, all available offline – say goodbye to data roaming charges!
- You can download it for free.
- No need to have internet connection to use this app as it can work offline.
- All places – hotels, restaurants and attractions (listed on TripAdvisor.com in this city) – are included in the app.
- Helps you create your own trip journal which you can share with family and friends on facebook.
- Powerful search features to help you find on the best recommendations in the city.
- It is GPS-based to show you the best attractions guide you where to find it.
The user reviews from millions of worldwide travelers using TripAdvisor make sure that that content is always up-to-date, honest and overflowing.
The app also provides self-guided tours to make travelers choose the best itineraries in the city to maximize their travel time.
The Scoop — NYTimes Guide to NYC Food, Drinks & Fun
- Category: Travel
- Seller: The New York Times Company (iDP)
- © The New York Times Company
From the editors of The New York Times, The Scoop is your comprehensive guide to New York City. Found here are NYC’s favorite restaurants, bars, coffee shops, performances and day trips. Check off the places you’ve been, and share what you’ve done with friends.
Key Features (as enlisted on iTunes):
- Restaurants: Our favorite eateries in the city, from the Times’ famed Critics’ Picks.
- Coffee: Oliver Strand’s favorite coffee shops of the moment.
- Only in New York: Uniquely New York experiences.
- Citi Bike: Sponsored by Citi, find the nearest station to pick up or return a bike. Availability is
updated every minute.
- Theater: Recommended shows from Ben Brantley and Charles Isherwood.
- Kids: Child-friendly events in and around the city.
- Art: Noteworthy gallery and museum listings.
- Home Furnishings: Our favorite home décor stores.
- Day Trips: Outings and excursions beyond the five boroughs.